Saturday, December 4, 2010

For those of you that do not know me, my name is Annette Plutt. I am a 40-something stay at home Mom living in suburbia. I have two kids, Nick age 15 and Kaity age 10. We are the typical American family. What we are not is one of “those” families. You know, the rasta-haired, Birkenstock-wearing, patchoulie-scented, organic Lola Granolas. We were about as far from that as you could get. The freezer was stocked with convenience foods bought in bulk. I thought I was being efficient and providing variety for my picky eaters. What I didn’t realize is that I was slowly poisoning my family. Our summer started in the typical crazed fashion, jam-packed with activities, plans for vacations and looking forward to the fall when Nick would be starting high school. Our world came to a standstill that fateful July day, two days before we were supposed to leave for vacation, when we got the phone call that would change our lives. My son, Nick, had been diagnosed with a very rare autoimmune disorder that had robbed him of the sight in his left eye. He would have to undergo a procedure very much like dialysis that filters out the antigens in his blood that were causing the problem and be replaced by synthetic plasma. He would need to be on immune suppressants to prevent future attacks and more damage. My husband Dan and I spent the next month in shock and fear as we sought a second opinion and researched all we could about treatment options and the cause of this disease. As friends and co-workers learned of our situation, we started hearing more and more about other children being affected by other autoimmune diseases. Thinking this was not just a coincidence, we dug deeper. We were shocked by what we found out and I feel a responsibility to share with you all what I have learned. I do not want one more child to be effected by this very preventable disease and not one more family to live through the hell we have been through. Lastly, I want to leave you with hope. Autoimmune disease is not inevitable. You can take steps right now to make sure that this does not happen to you!! For those touched by autoimmune, new information to help improve your symptoms and outcome.
I will be posting regular updates to share with you the important information we have learned so you can protect yourself and your family. Please keep in mind, I am not in the medical field but all of this information comes from very credible sources. I will reference web sites, books, etc. so you can do more research on your own.
Next blog: Thank God my kids are healthy or so I thought! Don’t be lulled in this false sense of security!
The Autoimmune Epidemic by Donna Jackson Nakazawa
The Inflammation Syndrome by Jack Challem
An Unhealthy Truth by Robin O’Brien
The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain, Ph.D
www.freedocumentaries.com       “Sweet Misery”

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Annette for starting this forum for those of us who have been effected by these syndromes. My Daughter has POTTS and my wife has IC both autoimmune syndromes. It has really been up to us to be informed about these illness's as the medical profession is largely out of the loop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette, I am so proud of you for starting this blog! Everyone needs to know this information. Your kids are so lucky to have a mom who is willing to take a stand & make the necessary changes for their long-term health.

    ReplyDelete